The purpose of education in Parkhall Integrated College is to enable each pupil to realise his or her maximum potential as an individual and to take a significant place in society. The College acknowledges that all pupils who have special educational needs either throughout their school careers, or at any time during their school careers, must have their needs addressed. They have the right to a broad and balanced curriculum, including maximum possible access to the Northern Ireland Curriculum.
The aims of Special Educational Needs Provision in Parkhall Integrated College are:
- to provide a broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated education
- to identify pupils with special educational needs as early as possible through a variety means for example testing and in consultation with appropriate personnel e.g. subject teachers, parents and other agencies
- to ensure that all pupils with special educational needs feel valued, and develop a positive self-image
- to encourage parental involvement, and co-operation between various professionals and agencies in the diagnosis and treatment of pupils with special needs
- to offer experiences and opportunities which enable pupils to develop knowledge, understanding and skills, which ensure progress, promote success, and develop self-confidence both inside and outside the classroom
- to develop a system for recording continued assessment, so that each pupil's performance can be monitored
- to promote the integration of all pupils with special educational needs as far as possible into the life and work of the school
- to encourage the use of teaching strategies which are responsive to different learning styles, and which ensure effective learning
- to create a caring and supportive environment, in which pupils can contribute towards planning provision best related to their learning needs
- to develop the personal and social qualities and physical skills necessary to cope with everyday life.
The complete policy is available on request from the General Office of the Junior School